Friday, 19 December 2014

Respecting Time: Meetings

In this very busy world of teaching, it's important to respect each other's time.  As a teacher librarian, I attend meetings and I run meetings.  I have impromptu planning sessions and I plan organized collaboration sessions.  One thing that I am cognizant of is people's time.

1. Arrival. I make sure that I arrive at least 15 minutes before the meeting.  This depends on what kind of meeting it is.  If I need to make sure that tech is running smoothly, then I'm there a lot earlier.

2. Agenda. I strongly believe in having an agenda that is clear and is followed.  There is nothing worse than having a meeting for the sake of having one. Also, if  you could send a simple email instead of holding a meeting, then do so.

3. Starting. I'm a stickler for starting meetings on time.  I think this has a lot to do with having British parents who are somewhat uptight about time.  That said, I think that meetings should start on the dot as it is a courtesy to all those who showed up for the meeting's start. It certainly sets the tone for the rest of the meeting.

4. Conversations. It is very easy to lose focus of an agenda, especially if you have some talkers amongst the group. It's important to allow people to have a voice but also to keep to the agenda. This is the trickiest part of any meeting.

5. Length. If you know me, then you already know my thoughts on this. I like short meetings.  That doesn't mean I don't do lengthy meetings.  The length of a meeting doesn't really matter, as long as things get accomplished and people leave feeling like it was time well spent.




No comments:

Post a Comment