Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Shelf Challenge

I've decided to participate in the shelf challenge again this year. As a middle school teacher librarian, my challenge is to read the dust covers of every book on one shelf in my library. I've decided to pick the much neglected Y/Z shelf. The poor Y/Z authors have their books on a low shelf that students walk past as they enter the library. The coveted shelf space is held by the F-MC authors. These shelves are the shelves students gravitate to and I know the contents of these shelves quite well.

Truth be told, I haven't started reading the Y/Z dust covers. I have crouched down and looked at all the books and I discovered that all these books look delicious and have great covers. I also now know that I'm dealing with quite a few different authors and a variety of genres are represented. And so, with all that in mind, I have decided to up the ante on my shelf challenge. I am going to try to read all the books on the Y/Z shelf. I realize that I'm going to fail my self imposed challenge but I also know that I'll read some new gems that I can share with students. I've started with the Birthright trilogy by Gabrielle Zevin. I finished reading book one, All These Things I've Done, which I loved and have already passed it on to a student to read.

With one Y/Z book already in the hands of a student, I guess the shelf challenge has already worked its magic. With only three weeks left in the challenge, I have to get back to the Y/Z author To Be Read pile...

No comments:

Post a Comment