Monday, 8 June 2015

My favourite fiction reads of the school year

There have been many delicious fiction books that have crossed my desk this school year and I've read many but never enough of them. Yesterday's post was about my favourite non fiction reads, so it is only fair to post my favourite fiction reads. My summer reading pile is already starting to grow and I have 3 weeks left of the school year. If you haven't read these already, you should add them to your summer reading list:

1. Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen
Image result for saint anything dessen
I am a huge Sarah Dessen fan. Her books are perfect for middle school students and are so very realistic. I must admit though that her last book, The Moon and More, didn't feel like it was up to Dessen standard so I was hesitant when I picked up Saint Anything. Dessen is back on track with this gem though.

2. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
Image result for ill give you the sun
Image result for invisible sedgwickI loved this book with its dual narrators, twins Jude and Noah. The twins who were once so very close have grown distant. This book is all about relationships, trust, love and communication. Breathtakingly beautiful, this was my favourite read of the year. A great book for fans of John Green and/or Rainbow Rowell.

3. She is not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

I really enjoyed the philosophical nature of this book. Sedgwick weaves the theories of coincidence in a stunning book in which the main character, Laureth, happens to be blind.  I liked how this book made me think while entertaining me at the same time.
Image result for we are liars

4. we were liars by e. lockhart

Well, how do I start to describe this book? Ingenious is really the only word I can think of to describe such a novel. Lockhart manages to keep the reader in the dark for the majority of the book without the reader even realizing it. It is not often that a YA book catches me off guard but this one certainly did.

Image result for how it went down by novel5. How it Went Down by Kekla Magoon

I enjoyed this book when I read it in the fall and it has stuck with me. What is so appealing about this book is that each of the characters tells a piece of the main story and only you, the reader, knows the entire story. Beautifully written, How it Went Down is very realistic and heartbreaking. Our school has just purchased 10 copies to read in Harry Potter Book Club and then move in to the grade 9 literature circle novel sets.

What I find interesting about my top 5 picks is that my favourite genre, fantasy, isn't here and I certainly read a lot of good fantasy novels this year. Also, all these books are stand alone books and not part of a series.

2 comments:

  1. I read and LOVED all these books you recommended and am looking forward to the twitter chat book club for Saint Anything! Have a great summer and keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BJ! It was a good twitter chat last night - thanks for joining us. Now to find time to nip into town and grab the next book.

    ReplyDelete