Monday, 5 September 2016

Evening before the first day

Well, it's that evening - the evening before the first day of school. As usual there's that odd concoction of emotions: nervousness, excitement, and hope. This summer I made a decision to really try and relax and turn my brain if not off, at least down. I did read and I did think about curriculum connections but just not in my usual overdrive.

As is always the case, I've set goals for myself and for my library program.

1. Slow down. We have new curriculum across the board and I'm excited about the new projects that we will be working on. That said, I need to slow things down and really focus on the key skills that we'll be incorporating into those projects.

2. Write. I need to spend more time writing. I find that writing helps me reflect on my librarianship as it's one of the few ways that I can slow down and analyse my practice. It's simply one of the many problems of being the lone teacher librarian in a school.

3. Learn. I know that learning is always the goal. I want to seek out different learning opportunities and step out of my comfort zone.

4. Balance. I realize that I certainly didn't achieve balance last year because I really felt burnout by the time summer started. Maybe this year I can achieve better balance. Wishful thinking, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment