Wednesday, 26 October 2016

BCTLA conference

What an incredible day of professional development on October 21st down at Byrne Creek Secondary in Burnaby. The BCTLA planning committee outdid themselves by having The Daring Librarian, Gwyneth Jones, as the keynote presenter. Jones set the tone for the conference with her humour and stories from life in the trenches. She highlighted various tools from Vine to Kahoot to BrainPop that teacher librarians can use to become technology troopers. It was good to revisit digital resources that I had forgotten about and see new ways of incorporating them into projects. I was also inspired to try something new and have a list of tools to go and play around with. I also attended her second session, Mobile Media in the Library and Classroom, and left with yet another page of new ideas to try.

My third session was about Breakout Edu. I purchased a Breakout box last year and I've played around with it but I haven't seen it go out. It was interesting to see Breakout happen with a group of adults who didn't know each other. I think that Breakout looks very different with adults than it does with students. I decided that I really need to encourage teachers to take the risk and try Breakout Edu with their classes. As a result, I've made a note to schedule a Mesopotamia Breakout with the grade 7s when I get back.

After attending a teacher librarian conference, I am always amazed at the level of innovation and creativity that teacher librarians employ in developing an adaptive, cutting-edge library program. I always leave re-invigorated and eager to try new things and this BCTLA conference was no different.

For more information about Gwyneth Jones, aka The Daring Librarian, check out her website here

If you want more information about Breakout Edu, check out their website here

No comments:

Post a Comment